‘Mamaroneck Coastal’ to Fight Hampshire Development
15 Feb, 2013
By Polly Kreisman
The group that has formed to fight the proposed development of an apartment complex the open Hampshire Country Club land in Mamaroneck is urging its membership within the Orienta (section of Mamaroneck) and others in the greater community to take specific actions:
The Mamaroneck Coastal Environment Coalition, Inc. (“Mamaroneck Coastal”) provides the following information.
1. Contact Village Mayor and Other Trustees.
It is very important that the Village Trustees (including the Mayor) know how the community feels about the proposed rezoning for a high-density development complex. Please consider contacting them (see contact information below) to let them know the following:
Indicate your concerns about proposed rezoning and this proposed development, including:
- Traffic-related issues
- Significant flooding risks
- Dangerous precedent – rezoning at Hampshire may open rezoning issues on other major open space properties in the Village
- You do not accept the argument that this development will lead to more open space
- The development is unlikely to provide a meaningful increase in net revenue for the Village when calculated with costs of additional services that will be required, and when compared with other possible development options that are within current zoning parameters (see, e.g., February 9, 2013 in the Journal News)
- You are opposed to rezoning of the Hampshire Country Club property for high density residential development; development there should be considered within current zoning parameters
- Such rezoning conflicts with the Village’s own Comprehensive Plan that calls for consideration of lower density zoning (i.e., R-30 or open/recreational), not higher density rezoning, at Hampshire, which is designated as a “Critical Environmental Area”
- Remind the board that zoning exists to best protect the community and ensure rational and consistent development
- Urge the Trustees to not accept for consideration a proposal to rezone Hampshire for the proposed development. This would be the most effective way, in terms of both time and cost, to protect against rezoning for this particular development option
- Indicate your name and address in the communication
Contact Information: Email: MayorandBoard@vomny.org, with a copy to the Village Clerk at: email@example.com
Regular mail (optional): Mamaroneck Village Board of Trustees, The Regatta, 123 Mamaroneck Avenue, Mamaroneck, NY 10543
2. Consider Joining or Volunteering With Mamaroneck Coastal.
Mamaroneck Coastal has been formed to represent residents to address the proposed Hampshire development, as well as other similar zoning issues in the community. It is important to show community support for these issues. If you would like to be involved in these discussions, or volunteer in this effort, please join Mamaroneck Coastal as a Community Supporter by clicking on our Community Supporter Registration Form and completing the attached Registration Form and returning it (a) electronically to firstname.lastname@example.org or (b) by mail to: Mamaroneck Coastal Environment Coalition, P.O. Box 77, Mamaroneck, NY 10543.
3. Consider Making a Contribution to Mamaroneck Coastal.
As mentioned at the OPA meeting and the Village BOT meeting, Mamaroneck Coastal has hired Steve Kass of Carter Ledyard & Milburn as legal counsel to help Mamaroneck Coastal and the community voice their concerns. We will also engage:
- an independent hydrologist/water expert to study and provide independent advice on the flooding and other water-related issues presented by the proposed development,
- an independent traffic consultant to study the impact on traffic in Orienta and around the Hommocks School from the proposed development,
- an independent environmental/wetlands consultant, and
- an independent financial expert to review the financial impact on the Village and Town of Mamaroneck of the proposed development.
- While we, as community volunteers, will devote countless hours to this issue, the hiring of legal and other experts will be necessary and very expensive. We hope that you will consider making a contribution to Mamaroneck Coastal. You may elect to designate any portion of a contribution in excess of $100 to be restricted and used only for work related to the Hampshire development. Restricted amounts not used for that purpose will be returned to contributors on a pro rata basis.
If you would like to make a contribution, please complete the Contribution Information portion of the attached Community Support Registration Form and mail it with a check made payable to “Mamaroneck Coastal Environment Coalition” to:
Mamaroneck Coastal Environment Coalition
Post Office Box 77
Mamaroneck, NY 10543