Building of the Week: Harrison Train Station

Print

 

Passengers have been getting on and off trains at the Harrison Station since the building was built way back in 1889 by the New York, New Haven & Hartford Railroad, which served the area at the time.

The Richardsonian Romanesque-style station is made of rock-faced brownstone, with hipped and gabled roofs. The station originally sat closer to both the tracks and Harrison Avenue. It was moved about 230 feet to the east and 85 feet to the north in 1926 to make room for another train line, the Port Chester extension of the New York, Westchester & Boston Railway, which by that time was owned by the  New York, New Haven and Hartford (NYNH&H.)

Both railroads are integral parts of Westchester County history, and helped to further the county’s growth as an easy commute to New York.

(The current use of the Quaker Ridge station of the NYW& B was profiled here recently.)

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *