Creating a spectacular scene regardless of its purpose, the Croton Dam Road Bridge carries just that — Croton Dam Road — over the Croton Reservoir spillway.
The bridge, which is located in county-owned Croton Gorge Park in Cortlandt, was originally completed in 1906 when the original 50-foot high Croton Dam was replaced with the 297-foot tall dam now in use. The bridge itself was replaced with a new structure similar to the original in 1975.
The 20-foot wide steel arch bridge spans 212 feet and its deck is approximately 300 feet above the bottom of the spillway. Twelve spandrel arches support the roadway.
The two-lane roadway carried by the bridge has been closed to vehicular traffic since 9/11 but is open to pedestrians and bicycles.